A longer, more stretching circular walk to a 17th century hamlet with fabulous views of the Town and surrounding hillsides.
Length: 4km (2½ miles)- a bit over 5,000 steps. It should take you about 1½ hours.
Start and Finish: St Pol Car park
How Strenuous: A steady then sharp uphill climb before an easy descent.
How Uneven: Mainly good tracks but the path through the woods can be muddy.
Obstacles: No stiles, but parts are uneven and unsuitable for wheelchairs or buggies.
- Leaving the car park turn right towards the traffic lights, cross the main road and then straight- ahead down Holme Street to the bridge over the canal.
- Cross the bridge and turn right along the canal for a short distance, passing an interesting information board about the canal.
- At the end, go up a flight of paved steps coming out on a road.
- Turn left along the road, over the railway bridge and just before the bus stop, cross the road and follow a rough tarmac track uphill.
- At the bungalow, take the waymarked footpath going off to the left. At a crossroads of paths, take the path straight ahead uphill through some woods and follow this to reach the old settlement of Wood Top.
Wood Top originates from the 1650s. One of the current dwellings would have been used as a water powered textile mill, the mill dam that supplied it is above the high walls on your right.
- Turn right before the first dwelling (see photo) and at the concrete road, turn right uphill. Continue up Spencer Lane which rises steeply (good stopping places to catch your breath and admire the view).
- At the T junction, by a stand of trees, turn right passing the ruined barn and two fine examples of mid-17th century yeoman houses in the hamlet of Old Chamber.
- At the end of the houses you take the right fork and follow the track downhill, but before that walk on a few paces to the Honesty Box where you can stop for tea, an ice cream or buy some eggs before returning to the track!
- You pass a TV mast, the track doubles back at Weasel Hall (great views of the town). When you finally reach the tarmac road, turn right and follow the road downhill to the bridge over the canal.
- Turn right along the canal back to Holme Street then ahead back to St Pol Car Park.